Home Autism Connects Forums Advice Any Experience Compelling a School to create a unit

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Erick 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Erick
    Participant

Hey Guys,

New poster, trying to search for any and all places that i could ask for feedback/help from people. Our 6 year old is currently in a mainstream school in a rural town with SnA support.

The school has started to engage with us about “dealing” with our daughter as she is becoming a disruption/using up resources and they would rather she not be there. The only problem is that they do not want to setup any ASD unit or even as much as a sensory room even though the SENO has advised the funding is there for it.

The only other local school that does have a unit is boys only, so its not ideal outcome from the social aspect of our girls education.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced something like this.

Thanks

Sarah
    Participant

Hi Erick,

It is so hard isn’t it ? Mainly for our kids but also the stress of wondering how each day was going.

Children with special educational needs and their families have enough challenges place in front of them, they should not have to fight the education system as well.

My little one is finally settling into school now but we had a period of her being very unsettled and not sure how things would pan out.

I saw your post on the forum and it reminded me of a friend of mine..so a friend of mine was in a similar situation to you where the school (mainstream) was complaining about her child’s behaviour and was unable to cope with their needs.

My friend asked a National Educational Psychologist (NEPS) to come to the school and observe what was going on. She said the report the educational psychologist prepared was a real eye opener and the school was made to make appropriate adjustments to support her daughter who is a lot happier there now.

Unfortunately in lots of cases the schools and teachers in Ireland do not have the appropriate training.

https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Services/National-Educational-Psychological-Service-NEPS-/NEPS-Home-Page.html
    Link about NEPS is above.

Your SENO should also be supporting you if a special class/unit is still required..

The SENO can also contact the school directly to notify them of the needs. The SENO also consults with NEPS. They may sanction a class before there are sufficient students to create a full class. This is done on the basis that the extra places will be filled as soon as students in need of such placements have been identified by the NCSE (national council for special education).

Here’s the link to the guidelines by the NCSE with more info on setting up the class/unit. http://ncse.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/NCSE-Guides-Special-Classes.pdf

Hope this is of some help..Best of luck with it all.

Erick
    Participant

Hi Sarah,

Than you for your very detailed response, I will look into it in detail with my wife as its something we may get done just to see if it helps inmprove. For now the school have had the NCSE people out and they have given advice on how the school can help the situation, and it looks to be improving from what we hear from our SnA.

Ultimately the biggest piece of advice we got was from our solicitor who advised that we have discharged the required actions that we are responsible for and its up to the SENO and school to come up with a plan. His main reason for saying this to us was that both parties were playing piggy in the middle and putting the issue on us. We haven’t taken any legal action as of yet but our solicitor is ready to push them to come up with a plan to deal with her.

Thank you for the additional information on setting up the unit, i know our SENO wants to but he has been pushed back so we will play it by ear for now.

Thanks

Erick

Sarah
    Participant

Hi Erick,
    That’s good to hear it seems to be getting better for your daughter.
    I agree it should be up to the school and the Seno to work this out. It would be great to see schools getting more training in this area..

It seems like progress is being made. All the best with it. Keep us informed with how things are going.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.